Slate is hiring a politics editor to drive our coverage. We’re looking for an editor full of ideas about how to cover the Trump administration, its effect on America and the world, and the coming 2020 fight. This position is based in Washington, although exceptional New York–based candidates may be considered.
• Assigning and editing Slate’s daily politics coverage
• Planning and executing ambitious editorial projects, whether investigative features or conceptual packages
• Working closely with other Slate editors to coordinate coverage
• Giving Slate’s audience the smartest possible ways to think about and understand the world
• A sharp, funny mind and pen
• The ability to quickly find the most fascinating and illuminating kernel in every news story
• At least 7 years’ experience working as an editor online
• Familiarity editing coverage that incorporates various digital mediums, including video, audio, interactive, infographic, and more
• At least 5 years’ experience covering U.S. politics
• Experience editing both reporting and analysis—we do both
• The ability to edit for voice, helping to nurture and elicit great work from talented writers
• A fast metabolism and strong organizational skills
• Smarts, kindness, humor, and generosity, all of which will help you work well with smart, kind, funny, generous colleagues
To apply, please send your résumé and cover letter to email@example.com.
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply.
This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America East.