Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
• Spencer Ackerman and Asawin Suebsaeng for the Daily Beast: “Trump Tells Allies He Wants Absolved War Criminals to Campaign for Him”
• William James: “The Moral Philosopher and the Moral Life”
• Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes
• Charles W. Mills: “ ‘Ideal Theory’ as Ideology”
• The Aeneid, by Virgil
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
• Emily: John Hendrickson for the Atlantic: “What Joe Biden Can’t Bring Himself to Say”
• Jamelle: Watchmen on HBO
• David: The heart-wrenching/soothing music of the women of country music, including: Brandi Carlile, Patsy Cline, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Iris Dement, Emmylou Harris, Loretta Lynn, Jo Dee Messina, Ashley McBryde, Ashley Monroe, Maren Morris, Kacey Musgraves, Dolly Parton, and Lucinda Williams
• Listener Rachel Johnston, @rachmjohnston: Katherine Rosenberg-Douglas for the Chicago Tribune: “Only 1 Invited Guest Showed Up to a Plainfield Boy’s Birthday Party, So Firefighters Celebrated With Him Instead”
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Emily, David, and Jamelle discuss things they learned in college that have stuck with them.
Get your tickets to the Gabfest’s Dec. 18 “Conundrum” live show at the Fox Theater in Oakland, California. And submit your conundrums at Slate.com/conundrum!
You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest. Tweet us your cocktail chatter using #cocktailchatter or post it to our Facebook page. (Messages may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank.
Research and show notes by Bridgette Dunlap.