Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
• Greg Miller, Josh Dawsey, Paul Sonne and Ellen Nakashima for the Washington Post: “Giuliani Pursued Shadow Ukraine Agenda as Key Foreign Policy Officials Were Sidelined”
• A. G. Sulzberger for the New York Times: “The Growing Threat to Journalism Around the World”
• “Worldwide Threat Assessment of the U.S. Intelligence Community,” by Daniel R. Coats, Director of National Intelligence
• Ross Douthat for the New York Times: “Does Donald Trump Want to Be Impeached?”
• Osita Nwanevu for the New Republic: “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry Greta Thunberg”
• She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement, by Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey
• Ronan Farrow for the New Yorker: “Harvey Weinstein’s Army of Spies”
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
John: Late 19th-century advertisement for “Cocarettes” tweeted by Lindsey Fitzharris @DrLindseyFitz
Kirsten: Dog Is Love: Why and How Your Dog Loves You, by Clive D.L. Wynne
David: Shows about car racing like Formula 1 and Le Mans: Racing Is Everything as a cure for insomnia
Listener chatter from @RealFuzzyMarmot: Ryan Pickrell for Business Insider: “Walruses Have Attacked And Sunk a Russian Navy Boat in the Arctic“
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, David, John, and Kirsten discuss what makes Greta Thunberg wonderful and why she drives her critics crazy.
You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest. Tweet us your cocktail chatter using #cocktailchatter or post it to our Facebook page.
(Messages may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
The email address for the Political Gabfest is email@example.com. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank.
Research and show notes by Bridgette Dunlap.