The “Last Mustache in Washington” Edition
The canceled Taliban talks, John Bolton’s departure, and guest Paul Tough’s new book, The Years That Matter Most.
Listen & Subscribe
Choose your preferred player:
Get Your Slate Plus Podcast
If you can't access your feeds, please contact customer support.
Listen on your computer:
Apple Podcasts will only work on MacOS operating systems since Catalina. We do not support Android apps on desktop at this time.
Listen on your device:RECOMMENDED
These links will only work if you're on the device you listen to podcasts on. We do not support Stitcher at this time.
Set up manually:
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
• The Years That Matter Most: How College Makes or Breaks Us, by Paul Tough
• A Suitable Boy, by Vikram Seth
• Fall; or, Dodge in Hell, by Neal Stephenson
• The Road, by Cormac McCarthy
• Infinite Jest, by David Foster Wallace
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
• Emily: Tara Golshan for Vox: “North Carolina Republicans’ Audacious Power Play, Explained”
• John: Andy Newman for the New York Times: “On the Job, 24 Hours a Day, 27 Days a Month”
• David: “Atlas Obscura’s Trips and Local Experiences Are Expanding”
• Listener chatter from Mohan Warusha, @mohanwarusha: Anne Barnard for the New York Times: “The 9/11 Tribute Lights Are Endangering 160,000 Birds a Year.”
• Listener chatter from Ryan Frailich, @RFrailich: Lamar White Jr. for the Bayou Brief: “Pharmland”
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Emily, David, and John debate the ideal length for books and movies.
You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest. Tweet us your cocktail chatter using #cocktailchatter or post it to our Facebook page. (Messages may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank.
Research and show notes by Bridgette Dunlap.