Josh Levin and Joel Anderson are joined by Spencer Hall to talk about the opening weekend of the college football season. They also discuss Bishop Sycamore, the fake high school that made its way into an ESPN football showcase. Finally, the CBC’s Morgan Campbell joins Josh and Joel to assess Canada’s series of sporting triumphs.
• Support Hang Up and Listen by subscribing to Slate Plus.
• Follow Spencer Hall on Twitter and check out his work on Channel 6.
• UCLA’s social media mockery of LSU.
• In the biggest games from college football’s opening weekend, Alabama blew out Miami and Georgia took down Clemson.
• Alex Kirshner’s Slate piece on Bishop Sycamore.
• Awful Announcing and the Athletic both did extensive reporting on Bishop Sycamore.
• Kevin Blackistone in the Washington Post on the “out-of-control prep sports industry.”
• Follow Morgan Campbell on Twitter.
• Canada’s run of recent sports successes include a 1-1 draw against the U.S. in men’s soccer, a gold medal in women’s soccer in Tokyo, Andre De Grasse’s 200-meter gold, big victories for Leylah Fernandez and Felix Auger-Aliassime at the U.S. Open, and an overtime triumph at the women’s hockey world championships.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly American Sports University:
Josh’s American Sports University: Getting to know Botic van de Zandschulp—and getting to know his name.
On this week’s bonus segment, Josh, Joel, and Morgan Campbell discuss vaccine requirements in pro sports, and how the media should talk about them.
Podcast production and edit by Jessamine Molli.
You can email us at email@example.com.