Joel Anderson, Stefan Fatsis, and Josh Levin talk about the upcoming NBA play-in tournament. They also discuss the latest brouhaha over violence in the National Hockey League and they assess NFL wide receiver DK Metcalf’s performance against pro sprinters.
• Support Hang Up and Listen by subscribing to Slate Plus.
• The Washington Post’s Ben Golliver on the NBA’s play-in tournament (and LeBron James’ antipathy for it).
• The Lakers’ Anthony Davis says “it’s been fun” to compete for playoff seeding.
• Nick Greene wrote in Slate last year that the play-in game needed to outlive the NBA bubble.
• The National Hockey League fined Washington Capitals forward Tom Wilson $5,000 for punching a prone New York Rangers player in the back of the head. The NHL then fined the Rangers $250,000 for criticizing the punishment.
• Wilson has been suspended a total of 30 games and forfeited more than a $1 million in salary in his career.
• In Slate, Alex Kirshner wrote that the league “allowed an overheated situation to burn into an embarrassment for the entire NHL.”
• ESPN’s Greg Wyshynski said it’s time for the NHL to fully embrace a generation of skilled stars and “turn the league away from a place where players like Tom Wilson roam the ice.”
• In 2019, Wyshynski wrote about how fighting in the NHL is at historic lows.
• In the Wall Street Journal in 2002, Stefan endorsed the need for fighting in hockey.
• Seattle Seahawks wide receiver DK Metcalf ran a 10.37 100-meter dash in a race against professional sprinters.
• Metcalf chased down the Arizona Cardinals’ Budda Baker after an interception.
• The 10 fastest 100-meter dashes by NFL players.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Anderson Packers:
Josh’s Anderson Packers: Looking back at Armando Galarraga’s almost-perfect game, 10 years later.
On this week’s bonus segment, Joel, Stefan, and Josh talk about the decline and fall of Albert Pujols.
Podcast production and edit by Margaret Kelley.
You can email us at email@example.com.