The Man Who Followed Jackie Robinson Edition
Slate’s sports podcast on pandemic purgatory, rare sports feats, and Larry Doby.
Listen & Subscribe
Choose your preferred player:
Get Your Slate Plus Podcast
If you can't access your feeds, please contact customer support.
Listen on your computer:
Apple Podcasts will only work on MacOS operating systems since Catalina. We do not support Android apps on desktop at this time.
Listen on your device:RECOMMENDED
These links will only work if you're on the device you listen to podcasts on. We do not support Stitcher at this time.
Set up manually:
Joel Anderson, Stefan Fatsis, and Josh Levin talk about the Texas Rangers opening their stadium at full capacity, the Vancouver Canucks having more than 20 positive COVID cases, and other scenes from the sports world’s pandemic purgatory. They also discuss what sports feats have yet to be achieved, now that the San Diego Padres have thrown their first no-hitter. And Luke Epplin joins for a conversation about his book on the 1948 Cleveland Indians, Our Team, and the lesser-known story of Larry Doby, the second Black player in the major leagues.
• Support Hang Up and Listen by subscribing to Slate Plus.
• The Texas Rangers’ opening-day crowd was the biggest at an American sporting event since the start of the pandemic.
• Anthony Fauci’s recommendations on stadium capacities.
• A study suggesting a possible link between games with fans in the stands and rising COVID infections.
• The Vancouver Canucks are in the midst of a COVID outbreak.
• Joe Musgrove threw the first no-hitter in San Diego Padres history.
• Josh asked on Twitter: What are the remaining feats across all sports that haven’t been done?
• Lists of things that have never happened in a Major League Baseball game, an NBA game, and in the NFL.
• Follow Luke Epplin on Twitter and buy his book Our Team: The Epic Story of Four Men and the World Series That Changed Baseball.
• Pieces about Our Team in the Washington Post, New York Times, and NPR.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly G.P. Gromacki:
Joel’s G.P. Gromacki: Hubert Davis, North Carolina, and the history of JV college basketball.
On this week’s bonus segment, Josh, Joel, and Stefan are joined by Luke Epplin to talk about baseball legend Bob Feller (and Stefan’s legendary Bob Feller story).
Podcast production and edit by Margaret Kelley.
You can email us at email@example.com.