Stefan Fatsis and Josh Levin are joined by Tariq Panja of the New York Times to assess the fast and spectacular implosion of European football’s Super League. Stefan, Josh, and Joel Anderson discuss Golden State Warriors superstar Stephen Curry’s ridiculous month, and they interview transgender runner and researcher Joanna Harper about the future of transgender athletes in girls’ and women’s sports.
• Support Hang Up and Listen by subscribing to Slate Plus.
• Follow Tariq Panja on Twitter.
• In the New York Times, Panja and Rory Smith reported on the stunning collapse of European soccer’s proposed Super League.
• Read Smith’s story in the Times, “The Super League Is Gone. What Now?”
• Eric Betts wrote in Slate that the Super League was “too much, too fast, too little thought through.”
• European soccer is threatening to punish the 12 clubs that participated in the Super League.
• Read stories by Marcus Thompson of the Athletic, Ben Cohen of the Wall Street Journal, and Rickey O’Donnell of SBNation about Stephen Curry’s absurd April, during which he has averaged more than 38 points per game and shattered various shooting records.
• Joanna Harper is the author of Sporting Gender: The History, Science, and Stories of Transgender and Intersex Athletes.
• Read Will Hobson’s recent story in the Washington Post, “The fight for the future of transgender athletes.”
• More than 30 states are considering legislation banning transgender athletes from playing high-school sports.
• On Sunday, a federal judge in Connecticut dismissed a lawsuit seeking to bar transgender athletes from compete in girls’ high school sports.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Angus Kinnear:
Josh’s Angus Kinnear: The many grudges of new LSU women’s basketball coach Kim Mulkey.
On this week’s bonus segment, Josh, Joel, and Stefan continue their conversation with Joanna Harper about transgender athletes.
Podcast production and edit by Margaret Kelley.
You can email us at email@example.com.