Joel Anderson, Stefan Fatsis, and Josh Levin are joined by the New Yorker’s Louisa Thomas to talk about the victories by Naomi Osaka and Novak Djokovic at the Australian Open and what the future holds for Serena Williams. They also discuss Jalen Green, Jalen Johnson, and the NBA’s new G League player development model. Finally, they assess Anthony Edwards’ huge dunk and name their favorite dunks of all time.
• Support Hang Up and Listen by subscribing to Slate Plus.
• Joel on making calls to elderly Texans during last week’s crisis.
• The Texas Tribune on how to help and get help in Texas.
• Follow Louisa Thomas on Twitter.
• Thomas’ piece on Naomi Osaka’s win over Serena Williams as a torch-passing moment.
• Novak Djokovic beat Daniil Medvedev for his 18th grand slam title.
• The Australian Open was the first major to be played entirely with automated line-calling.
• Michael Lee in the Washington Post on Jalen Green and the G League.
• Defector’s Lauren Theisen on the outraged takes over Jalen Johnson’s departure from Duke.
• In 2009, Stefan wrote in the Atlantic about high-school basketball players skipping college.
• On Friday, Anthony Edwards of the Timberwolves dunked ferociously on Yuta Watanabe of the Raptors. (“It was all right,” Edwards said after the game.)
• In the 2000 Olympics, Vince Carter posterized 7-foot-2 Frederic Weis of France.
• John Starks of the Knicks slammed left-handed over Michael Jordan of the Bulls in 1993.
• In 2013, DeAndre Jordan of the Pistons demolished Brandon Knight of the Clippers.
• Here’s Shaquille O’Neal ripping down a backboard in 1993 and Giannis Antetokounmpo flying over Tim Hardaway Jr. in 2018.
• Watch a 2017 ESPN ranking of the top 15 NBA dunks of all-time.
• The NCAA banned dunking from 1967 to 1976.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Georgeann Wells:
Josh’s Georgeann Wells: The origins of the word posterize, which Stefan defined for Merriam-Webster.
On this week’s bonus segment, Joel, Stefan, and Josh talk about New Orleans Pelicans point guard (?!?) Zion Williamson.
Podcast production and edit by Jasmine Ellis.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.