Joel Anderson, Stefan Fatsis, and Josh Levin talk about the latest NFL hiring cycle, where just one Black coach got hired to run a team. They also assess Australia’s tennis quarantine and discuss whether Curt Schilling will break the baseball Hall of Fame.
• Support Hang Up and Listen by subscribing to Slate Plus.
• Richard Johnson’s Slate piece on “unconventional” NFL coaching hires, all of whom happen to be white.
• In the Undefeated, William C. Rhoden says players need to hold NFL owners accountable for their hiring decisions.
• The Washington Football Team hired the league’s first Black female assistant.
• The Atlantic on Australian Open players’ quarantine workouts.
• Novak Djokovic’s demands were dismissed by Australian officials.
• The U.S. men’s handball team dropped out of the world championship after an outbreak of positive tests. (Denmark won the title.)
• For a ninth straight year, Curt Schilling, Barry Bonds, and Roger Clemens were not elected to baseball’s Hall of Fame.
• In 2015, Peter King said it was his duty as a Hall of Fame voter to consider Darren Sharper.
• Schilling shared transphobic and anti-Muslim memes; said that Hillary Clinton “should be buried under a jail”; wrote that a T-shirt supporting the lynching of journalists was “so much awesome”; and, most recently, tweeted support for the Capitol Hill insurrection.
• In a letter posted on Facebook, Schilling wrote that “the media has created a Curt Schilling that does not and has never existed” and asked to be removed from the Hall of Fame ballot.
• Despite his complaints, Schilling’s vote percentage has increased almost every year.
• Baseball writers Ken Rosenthal, Joe Posnanski, and C. Trent Rosecrans on deciding whether to vote for Schilling.
• Hall of Famer Reggie Jackson said of Schilling, “Freedom of speech got your ass out of Cooperstown, bro!”
• A detailed look at Schilling’s career by Bill Nowlin of the Society for American Baseball Research.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Palickas:
Josh’s Palicka: Why Jackie Robinson told a sportswriter “I am happy for you, that you were born white.”
Melissa’s Palicka: Learning to love the Phillie Phanatic. (Follow Melissa on Twitter.)
On this week’s bonus segment, Joel, Stefan, and Josh talk about the NFL’s quarterback roulette.
Podcast production and edit by Melissa Kaplan.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.