On this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Joel Anderson and Stefan Fatsis discuss Luka Doncic’s spectacular performance for the Dallas Mavericks in the NBA playoffs. They are joined by David Ubben of the Athletic to talk about the return of high school football across the country. And Josh Levin interviews Ethan Strauss of the Athletic about declining television ratings in the NBA.
• Support Hang Up and Listen by subscribing to Slate Plus.
• Luka Doncic scored 43 points—including a 27-foot buzzer-beater—to lift the Dallas Mavericks over the Los Angeles Clippers, 135–133, in an NBA playoffs instant classic.
• NBA.com compiled the stunned Twitter reactions of players to Doncic’s shot. Wrote Stephen Curry: “BLOUSES!!!”
• Watch a floor-level view of Doncic’s game-winner basket.
• Chris Herring of the FiveThirtyEight wrote that Portland’s Carmelo Anthony leads the NBA in cussing in the fanless bubble.
• The Deseret News said that Donovan Mitchell of the Utah Jazz, who has scored more than 50 points in two playoff games, is playing “like the most brilliant hypergiant in the universe.”
• Follow David Ubben on Twitter and read his story in the Athletic about the start of the high school football season in Tennessee.
• Antonio Morales of the Athletic and Roman Stubbs of the Washington Post wrote about high school football players moving to states where the sport is being played this fall.
• Follow Ethan Strauss on Twitter and read his story in the Athletic about declining NBA ratings.
• Read a transcript of Levin’s conversation with Strauss.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly Enakopravnosts:
Joel’s Enakopravnost: Sports writer Joan Niesen’s scary run-in with former LSU and Washington NFL player Derrius Guice, who was accused of rape while at the school and arrested this month on domestic violence charges, is a reminder that football won’t police itself.
Stefan’s Enakopravnost: On former Penn Quaker, NBA benchwarmer, and youth sports reform advocate Bob Bigelow, who died last week at 66.
On this week’s bonus segment, Joel, Stefan, and David Ubben of the Athletic discuss the protest by Big Ten football parents against the conference canceling the season.
Podcast production and edit by Melissa Kaplan.
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.