In this week’s episode of Slate’s sports podcast Hang Up and Listen, Stefan Fatsis and Josh Levin are joined by Jesse Washington of the Undefeated to talk about the latest on Antonio Brown: the accusations of sexual misconduct, the Patriots’ decision to cut him, and his declaration that he’s quitting the NFL. Washington will also discuss his story on Andrew Johnson, a high school wrestler who was instructed to cut off his dreadlocks or forfeit a match. Finally, the Ringer’s Ben Lindbergh assesses the disappointing Chicago Cubs and Boston Red Sox and the surprising Minnesota Twins.
Here are links to some of the articles and other items mentioned on the show:
• Follow Jesse Washington on Twitter.
• Washington’s 2018 Undefeated piece on Antonio Brown and Instagram and his recent story on Brown thinking he’s the victim
• Robert Klemko’s Sports Illustrated story on Brown’s “unfortunate pattern of entitlement and narcissism” and Klemko’s follow-up on Brown sending intimidating text messages to one of his accusers
• The Boston Globe’s Tara Sullivan writes that the Patriots need to answer for signing Brown.
• Washington’s story for the Undefeated, “The untold story of wrestler Andrew Johnson’s dreadlocks”
• Follow Ben Lindbergh on Twitter and buy his book (co-authored with Travis Sawchik) The MVP Machine.
• Jesse Rogers in ESPN on where the Chicago Cubs go from here
• The Ringer on the Boston Red Sox’s firing of Dave Dombrowski
• The Wall Street Journal on how the Minnesota Twins built baseball’s most powerful lineup
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly untimed downs:
Stefan’s untimed down: Powder puff football, in which girls play and boys dress as cheerleaders, is a sexist sports relic that somehow lives on.
Josh’s untimed down: Saying goodbye to the Cubs on WGN.
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Stefan, Josh, and Jesse Washington discuss the state of the black quarterback in the NFL.
Podcast production and edit by Melissa Kaplan.
You can email us at email@example.com.