To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss the latest wave of anti-abortion bills, Trump’s showdown with Iran, and Civic Saturday with guest Eric Liu.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
• Michael Hiltzik for the L.A. Times: “States With the Worst Anti-Abortion Laws Also Have the Worst Infant Mortality Rates”
• Citizen University: Civic Saturday
• Our Towns: A 100,000-Mile Journey Into the Heart of America by James Fallows and Deborah Fallows
• Shera S. Avi-Yonah and Aidan F. Ryan for the Harvard Crimson: “ ‘With Us or Against Us’: Current, Former Winthrop Affiliates Say Faculty Deans Created a Toxic Environment Stretching Back Years”
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
• John: The University of Cambridge’s Casebooks Project
• Listener chatter from Hank Van Dijk @hankvandijk: Max Boot for the Washington Post: “It’s Time for Us to Have an Unapologetic Atheist in the Oval Office”
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, Emily, David, and John talk about the controversy over a lawyer for Harvey Weinstein losing his job at Harvard Law.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest. Tweet us your cocktail chatter using #cocktailchatter or post it to our Facebook page. (Messages may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Danielle Hewitt. Research and show notes by Bridgette Dunlap.