To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss the deal to avoid a second shutdown, Jeff Bezos’ claims of sextortion, and Ilhan Omar’s tweets about Israel.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
• Steven Mufson for the Washington Post: “Trump Urges Tennessee Valley Authority to Keep Open an Aging Coal-Burning Power Plant”
• Caitlin Dickerson for the New York Times: “Why Border Wall Talks Suddenly Became a Showdown Over ‘ICE Beds’ ”
• Peter Beinart for the Forward: “The Sick Double Standard in the Ilhan Omar Controversy”
• Michelle Goldberg for the New York Times: “Ilhan Omar’s Very Bad Tweets”
• Eugene Volokh for Reason: “Is Threatening to Publish Bezos’ Nude/Lewd Pics Criminal Blackmail?”
• Jeff Bezos for Medium: “No Thank You, Mr. Pecker”
• Dan Savage for the New York Times: “Jeff Bezos, Please Release Your Dirty Selfies”
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
• Emily: Zach Despart and Keri Blakinger for the Houston Chronicle: “Kim Ogg’s Request for 100 More Prosecutors Criticized by Reformers”; Grits for Breakfast: “Hiring More Harris Co. Prosecutors Would Harm the Rest of the System”
• John: Andrew G. McCabe’s book excerpt in the Atlantic: “Every Day Is a New Low in Trump’s White House”
• David: Laura Helmuth for Smithsonian magazine: “Abraham Lincoln, True Crime Writer”; Maid: Hard Work, Low Pay, and a Mother’s Will to Survive by Stephanie Land
• Listener chatter from Rick Zucker @rnzucker: Shane Dixon Kavanaugh for the Oregonian: “Not Just Oregon: Saudi Students in at Least 8 States, Canada Vanish While Facing Criminal Charges”
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, John, David, and Emily discuss whether sexism is behind the stories that Sen. Amy Klobuchar is a bad boss.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest. Tweet us your cocktail chatter using #cocktailchatter or post it to our Facebook page. (Messages may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank.
Research and show notes by Bridgette Dunlap.