To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss the government shutdown, new Russia connections revealed in the Mueller investigation, and why Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is getting so much attention.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
• David Frum for the Atlantic: “Trump Has Defeated Himself”
• Emmie Martin for CNBC: “The Government Shutdown Spotlights a Bigger Issue: 78% of US Workers Live Paycheck to Paycheck”
• Carol D. Leonnig for the Washington Post: “A Beefed-Up White House Legal Team Prepares Aggressive Defense of Trump’s Executive Privilege as Investigations Loom Large”
• Pete Williams and Allan Smith for NBC News: “Rod Rosenstein, Who Oversaw Mueller Probe, Leaving DOJ After Investigation Wraps Up”
• Adam Serwer for the Atlantic: “The Exceptions to the Rulers”
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
• Emily: Tressie McMillan Cottom for Time: “I Was Pregnant and in Crisis. All the Doctors and Nurses Saw Was an Incompetent Black Woman”
• John: Maria Popova for Brain Pickings: “Incomparable Things Said Incomparably Well: Emerson’s Extraordinary Letter of Appreciation to Young Walt Whitman”
• David: “Atlas Obscura and the New York Times Journeys Launch Science Weekends”; Andrew Ross Sorkin for the New York Times: “No Tuition, but You Pay a Percentage of Your Income (if You Find a Job)”
• Listener chatter from Mike Stanis and Nicole Garton: Anne Helen Petersen for BuzzFeed: “How Millennials Became the Burnout Generation”
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, the hosts discuss favor-mongering—and Emily gets hornswoggled in a recent tennis match!
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest. Tweet us your cocktail chatter using #cocktailchatter or post it to our Facebook page. (Messages may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is email@example.com. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Research and show notes by Bridgette Dunlap.