To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
Get More Political Gabfest
Slate Plus members get extended, ad-free versions of our podcasts—and much more. Sign up today.
Subscribe to Political Gabfest
Copy this link and add it in your podcast app.
For detailed instructions, see our Slate Plus podcasts page.
Listen to Slate’s Political Gabfest via Apple Podcasts, Overcast, Spotify, Stitcher, or Google Play.
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss the government shutdown, new Russia connections revealed in the Mueller investigation, and why Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is getting so much attention.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
• David Frum for the Atlantic: “Trump Has Defeated Himself”
• Emmie Martin for CNBC: “The Government Shutdown Spotlights a Bigger Issue: 78% of US Workers Live Paycheck to Paycheck”
• Carol D. Leonnig for the Washington Post: “A Beefed-Up White House Legal Team Prepares Aggressive Defense of Trump’s Executive Privilege as Investigations Loom Large”
• Pete Williams and Allan Smith for NBC News: “Rod Rosenstein, Who Oversaw Mueller Probe, Leaving DOJ After Investigation Wraps Up”
• Adam Serwer for the Atlantic: “The Exceptions to the Rulers”
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
• Emily: Tressie McMillan Cottom for Time: “I Was Pregnant and in Crisis. All the Doctors and Nurses Saw Was an Incompetent Black Woman”
• John: Maria Popova for Brain Pickings: “Incomparable Things Said Incomparably Well: Emerson’s Extraordinary Letter of Appreciation to Young Walt Whitman”
• David: “Atlas Obscura and the New York Times Journeys Launch Science Weekends”; Andrew Ross Sorkin for the New York Times: “No Tuition, but You Pay a Percentage of Your Income (if You Find a Job)”
• Listener chatter from Mike Stanis and Nicole Garton: Anne Helen Petersen for BuzzFeed: “How Millennials Became the Burnout Generation”
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, the hosts discuss favor-mongering—and Emily gets hornswoggled in a recent tennis match!
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest. Tweet us your cocktail chatter using #cocktailchatter or post it to our Facebook page. (Messages may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Research and show notes by Bridgette Dunlap.