To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss dissent within the Trump administration, Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation hearings, and backlash against the New Yorker for inviting and uninviting Steven Bannon to their Festival.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- Anonymous for the New York Times: “I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration”
- Mark Leibovich for the New York Times Magazine: “This Is the Way Paul Ryan’s Speakership Ends”
- Fear: Trump in the White House by Bob Woodward
- Jamelle Bouie for Slate: “The Incapacitated President”
- Ezra Klein for Vox: “Donald Trump Makes the Case for His Own Impeachment”
- Charlie Savage for the New York Times: “Leaked Kavanaugh Documents From Time at White House Discuss Abortion, Affirmative Action”
- Veronica Stracqualursi for CNN: “Kamala Harris Grills Kavanaugh on Mueller Investigation”
- The New Yorker on Twitter: “A statement from David Remnick…”
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
Emily: Boom Town by Sam Anderson
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment the hosts discuss the silver lining of summer ending. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at slate.com/gabfestplus.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Izzy Rode.