This bonus episode was made exclusively for Slate Plus members. Not yet a member? Sign up at Slate.com/Plus.
In the first bonus episode of the second season of Slow Burn, Leon Neyfakh talks to the creators of Monica: The Miniseries, which imagines Monica Lewinsky’s existence in 2001, when she was 27 and trying to build a normal life in New York City. Doron Max Hagay and Lily Marotta talk about what they admire about Lewinsky’s resilience and attempts at reinvention.
Leon also talks to co-host Mary Wilson, a senior podcast producer at Slate, about the making of Episode 1 and Season 2.
Non-members can listen to the first episode in the player below. To listen to future episodes, join Slate Plus.
In researching Episode 1 of Slow Burn, we made use of the following sources.
- Adler, Renata. Canaries in the Mineshaft, St. Partin’s Press, 2001.
- Gormley, Ken. The Death of American Virtue: Clinton vs. Starr, Crown/Archetype, 2010.
- Isikoff, Michael. Uncovering Clinton, Crown, 1999.
- Morton, Andrew. Monica’s Story, St. Martin’s Press, 1999.
- Schmidt, Susan and Weisskopf, Michael. Truth At Any Cost, Harper Collins, 2000.
- Toobin, Jeffrey. A Vast Conspiracy, Random House, 1999.
- “The Starr Report,” Washington Post, 1998.
Film and TV
- American Experience: Clinton, PBS. Goodman, Barak and Durrance, Chris, 2012.
- Bailey, Fenton and Barbato, Randy. Monica in Black and White, World of Wonder/HBO, 2002.
- Monica: The Miniseries. Hagay, Doron and Marotta, Lily, 2015.
- Baker, Peter and Locy, Toni and Schmidt, Susan. “Clinton Accused of Urging Aide to Lie,” Washington Post, Jan. 21, 1998.
- Harris, John F. “‘Washington Was About to Explode’: The Clinton Scandal, 20 Years Later,” Politico, Jan. 21, 1998.
- Heil, Emily. “The Watergate’s other secrets, from a drunk Bette Davis to Condoleezza Rice’s bad catering,” Washington Post, Feb. 20, 2018.
- “How the Paula Jones Case Evolved,” New York Times, May 28, 1997.
- “President Clinton’s Deposition,” Washington Post, 1998.
- Sciolino, Elaine and Van Natta, Jr., Don. “The Confidant: Linda Tripp, Elusive Keeper of Secrets, Mainly Her Own,” Washington Post, Mar. 15, 1998.
- Shin, Laura. “Monica Lewinsky, In First Public Talk Ever, Condemns Internet Shaming,” Forbes, Oct. 20, 2014.
- Sullivan, Amy. “Mall Rats,” Washington Monthly, Sept. 1, 2005.
- Toobin, Jeffrey. “The Secret War in Starr’s Office,” New Yorker, Nov. 15, 1999.
- “You Let Me Down: Excerpts from the Lewinsky Evidence,” Washington Post, 1998.