To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss the president’s pardon power, the decision in Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, and Bill Clinton’s bumbling book tour.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- Emily Tillett for CBS: “Rep. Trey Gowdy Says FBI Has ‘Obligation’ to Run Out Leads on Russian Interference”
- David Corn for Mother Jones: “Donald Trump Is Getting Away With the Biggest Scandal in American History”
- Eric Wolff for Politico: “Pruitt ‘Is About As Swampy As You Get,’ Republican Senator Says”
- Louise Melling for Slate: “Will Obergefell Be the New Roe?”
- Carmen Russo for Slate: “Stephen Colbert Confronted President Clinton About His ‘Tone-Deaf’ #MeToo Comments”
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
- Listener Scott Wike’s chatter: The College Board, which runs the Advanced Placement program, is slashing its world history curriculum in half
- Emily: Malcolm Jenkins’ silent response to the White House disinviting the championship Eagles to visit
- John: Anthony Ray Hinton appeared on CBS This Morning to promote his book The Sun Does Shine: How I Found Life and Freedom on Death Row
- David: Dave McKenna’s video for Deadspin, “The Time Barack Obama Tracked Down Dave McKenna at a Coffee Shop”
This week’s Slate Plus bonus segment is inspired by Melania Trump dropping out of the public eye. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at Slate.com/gabfestplus.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is email@example.com. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Izzy Rode.