To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss Ronny Jackson’s will-he-won’t-he Cabinet nomination, arguments before SCOTUS in Hawaii v. Trump, and John’s new piece on the presidency.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- Brianna Gurciullo and Tanya Snyder for Politico: “Skepticism Reigns About Putting Trump’s Pilot in Charge of FAA”
- Ben Mathis-Lilley for Slate: “Ronny Jackson Withdraws From VA Nomination Process”
- Adam Liptak for the New York Times: “Supreme Court Arguments on Trump’s Travel Ban: Annotated Excerpts”
- Mark Joseph Stern for Slate: “Just Another Day in Court”
- Nina Totenberg for NPR: “Why Dozens of National Security Experts Have Come Out Against Trump’s Travel Ban”
- John Dickerson for the Atlantic: “The Hardest Job in the World”
- What Got You Here Won’t Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful, by Marshall Goldsmith
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
Emily: Matthew Birkhold for Electric Lit: “Why Do So Many Judges Cite Jane Austen in Legal Decisions”
David: Don Blankenship is running for U.S. Senate in West Virginia while living in Nevada, on parole, and with a long and storied history of misdeeds.
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment the hosts discuss cultural affinities. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at slate.com/gabfestplus.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jayson De Leon. Links compiled by Izzy Rode.