To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, Jamelle Bouie, and Jack Hitt, co-host of Gimlet’s Uncivil, discuss the census citizenship question, Trump’s brewing legal trouble, and gerrymandering.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- Danny Vinik and Andrew Restuccia for Politico: “Leading Trump Census Pick Causes Alarm”
- Lisa Friedman for the New York Times: “The E.P.A. Says It Wants Research Transparency. Scientists See an Attack on Science.”
- Dahlia Lithwick and Mark Joseph Stern for Slate: “Defenseless”
- Michael S. Schmidt, Jo Becker, Mark Mazzetti, Maggie Haberman, and Adam Goldman, NYT: “Trump’s Lawyer Raised Prospect of Pardons for Flynn and Manafort”
- Maegan Vazquez and MJ Lee for CNN: “Stormy Daniels Lawyer Seeks to Depose Donald Trump and Michael Cohen”
- Mark Joseph Stern for Slate: “Undecided Court”
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
Emily: Brendan Dassey, whose case appeared in Making a Murderer, is petitioning SCOTUS. Also, “D.C. and Maryland Can Pursue Emoluments Lawsuit Against Trump, Judge Says.”
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, the hosts discuss favorite recipes. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at slate.com/gabfestplus.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is email@example.com. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Izzy Rode.