To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss the value of the Nunes memo and accusations of former White House aide Rob Porter’s domestic abuse.
Then, David Leonhardt joins the gang to discuss whether an increase in wages caused the stock-market drop, and a Slate Plus segment on emotional-support animals.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- Jordan Weissmann for Slate: “Why Did Stocks Go Insane This Week? Because Traders Were Afraid They Would.”
- Lena Felton for the Atlantic: “The Full Text of the Nunes Memo”
- Dahlia Lithwick for Slate: “The Nunes Memo Is a Big Win for Donald Trump”
- Noah Feldman for Bloomberg View: “Trump Has a Clear Path to Refuse Mueller”
- Louise Boyle for Daily Mail: “Exclusive: ‘He Pulled Me, Naked and Dripping From the Shower to Yell at Me.’ Ex-Wife of Trump Aide Rob Porter Who’s Dating Hope Hicks, Tells How He Called Her a ‘F***ing B***h’ on Their Honeymoon and She Filed a Protective Order Against Him.”
- David A. Graham for the Atlantic: “The Rise and Fall of John Kelly’s Reputation”
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
- Emily: Pennsylvania’s Supreme Court ordered the state legislature to redraw voting maps
- John: “Jet Lag: The Olympic Strategy So Radical It Just Might Work” for the Wall Street Journal and “Principles of Adult Behavior” by John Perry Barlow, who passed away this week
- David: David Grann’s “The White Darkness” in the New Yorker and news that disappearing permafrost is releasing toxic mercury
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, the hosts discuss flying with emotional-support animals. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at slate.com/gabfestplus.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is email@example.com. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jayson De Leon. Links compiled by Izzy Rode.