To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, John Dickerson and David Plotz are joined by Annie Lowrey of the Atlantic to discuss the power of students organizing against gun violence, the Mueller indictments, and Mitt Romney’s newest campaign.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- Shelby Webb for the Houston Chronicle: “Houston-Area School District threatens to Suspend Students Who Protest After Florida Shooting”
- Scott Travis for the Sun Sentinel: “Florida School Shooting: How Was Killer Able to Get Around School Security?”
- Jennifer Earl for Fox News: “Free Concealed Carry Classes Offered to Teachers by Ohio Sheriff in Wake of Florida Shooting”
- Thomas Friedman for the New York Times: “Whatever Trump Is Hiding Is Hurting All of Us Now”
- Masha Gessen for the New Yorker: “The Fundamental Uncertainty of Mueller’s Russia Indictments”
- Shane Goldmacher, Josh Dawsey, and Matthew Nussbaum for Politico: “Why Trump Picked Rex Tillerson”
- Annie Lowrey’s forthcoming book, Give People Money: How a Universal Basic Income Would End Poverty, Revolutionize Work, and Remake the World
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
John: Educated, by Tara Westover
David: Planet Earth II
Annie: Elizabeth Swaney’s infamous halfpipe run in Pyeongchang
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment the hosts discuss universal basic income. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at slate.com/gabfestplus.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Izzy Rode.