To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss whether Congress should keep the government running, Trump’s opinions on immigration, and what positive outcomes could result from the public dissection of Babe.com’s Aziz Ansari story.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- Vox’s Dara Lind reports that deportation is slowing down under President Trump.
- Matthew Yglesias of Vox says Trump’s weakness is policy.
- Sen. Tom Cotton went on the record to CBS saying that Trump’s sentiments on immigration were misrepresented.
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
- Emily: The HBO series The Leftovers is ripe for binge-watching. Also, Bloomberg’s Adam Minter on why “No One Wants Your Used Clothes Anymore.”
- John: A beautiful collection of DMs received by @AtticusGF, a politically engaged tweeter, after he tweeted about his sick child.
- David: This Could Hurt, by Jillian Medoff.
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, the hosts discuss how to solve the infrastructure problems of the United States. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at slate.com/gabfestplus.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Izzy Rode.