To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, David Plotz, Zoe Chace of This American Life, and chairman of The Slate Group Jacob Weisberg discuss the state of the GOP tax bills, the case for resignation by perpetrators of sexual harassment, and the health of the magazine industry.
Here are some links to references from this week’s show:
- Ben Leubsdorf for the Wall Street Journal: “Economists See GOP Tax Plan Producing Growth Spurt, but Split Over Long-Term Effect”
- The White House: “Mulvaney: Introducing MAGAnomics”
- Sheryl Gay Stolberg and Jonathan Martin for the New York Times: “Facing Second Accuser, Franken Sees His Once-Rising Star Dim”
- Amy Davidson Sorkin for the New Yorker: “Liberals and Sexual Harassment”
- Sydney Ember and Michael M. Grynbaum for the New York Times: “The Not-So-Glossy Future of Magazines”
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
- Jacob Weisberg: Noah Feldman’s The Three Lives of James Madison: Genius, Partisan, President
- Zoe Chace: Kevin D. Williamson’s recent National Review piece about Louise Linton, “The Treasury Secretary’s Wife”
- David Plotz: A recent trip to Deadhorse Bay
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, the hosts discuss whether it’s our social and patriotic responsibility to buy holiday gifts. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at Slate.com/gabfestplus.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet Slate Plus suggestions, conundrums, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Izzy Rode.