To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss the mass shooting in Las Vegas; the federal response to Puerto Rico; and Gill vs. Whitford, the partisan gerrymandering case being argued before the Supreme Court.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- Erica Werner for the Associated Press: “Some Republicans open to banning ‘bump stocks’ used in Vegas”
- Christopher Ingraham for the Washington Post: “Just three percent of adults own half of America’s guns”
- Julia Ioffe for the New Yorker in 2010: “Russia on Fire”
- Slate’s Whistlestop with John Dickerson: “Responder in Chief”
- Emily Bazelon for the New York Times Magazine: “The New Front in the Gerrymandering Wars: Democracy vs. Math”
- Emily Bazelon for the New York Times Magazine: “Antonin Scalia Didn’t Trust Science”
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
- Emily: SCOTUS will decide Epic Systems Corp. v. Lewis, which centers on the Federal Arbitration Act
- John: Sport climbing will be an official Olympic event in Tokyo in 2020
- David: Endurance by Scott Kelly (forthcoming), and Atlas Obscura’s Oct. 12 event in Brooklyn, “Real/Fake Science: An Interactive Experiment Salon”
On our Slate Plus bonus segment, the hosts (inspired by this week’s vote in Catalonia) discuss which national referendums could benefit the people of the United States. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at slate.com/gabfestplus.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is email@example.com. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Izzy Rode.