To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s LIVE Slate Political Gabfest, David Plotz, Emily Bazelon, and John Dickerson review Sens. Jeff Flake and Bob Corker’s fiery rebukes of President Donald Trump. Special guest Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx joins the team to talk about criminal justice in Chicago, and the hosts also discuss if we have now arrived at a time of empowerment for survivors of sexual harassment and assault.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- “Full Transcript: Jeff Flake’s Speech on the Senate Floor” courtesy of the New York Times
- Will Saletan for Slate: “Three No Trump”
- Robin Wright for the New Yorker: “Is America Headed for a New Kind of Civil War?”
- Nereida Moreno for the Chicago Tribune: “Top Prosecutor ‘Stunned’ at How Few Gun Cases Brought to Trial Yield Convictions”
- Jia Tolentino for the New Yorker: “Harvey Weinstein and the Impunity of Powerful Men”
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
- Emily: Inspired by Jane Doe’s statement, some thoughts on the importance of letting women choose their own future
- John: A few Calvin Coolidge historical gems, including how Coolidge used to ride this hobby horse
- David: The origin story of an 1866 law that forbids living people from being featured on U.S. currency
On this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, the hosts answer questions posed by members of our Chicago audience. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at slate.com/gabfestplus.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is email@example.com. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Izzy Rode.