To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss the “election integrity” commission, Donald Trump’s first face-to-face meeting with Vladimir Putin, and a nuclear North Korea.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- Dell Cameron and Kate Conger write in Gizmodo: “Trump’s Election Fraud Commission Asked States to Send Sensitive Voter Information Over Insecure Email”
- Anne Applebaum writes in the Washington Post: “How U.S. Presidents Missed the Russia Threat—Until It Was Much, Much Too Late”
- Abby Phillip writes in the Washington Post: “Months of Russia Controversy Leaves Trump ‘Boxed In’ Ahead of Putin Meeting”
- Mark Bowden writes in the Atlantic: “How to Deal With North Korea”
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
- Emily: A case before the Florida Supreme Court about prosecutorial discretion.
- John: Los Angeles County analysis about the Children’s Health Insurance Program and the impact Trumpcare will have.
- David: The movie The Big Sick and the podcast Ear Hustle, with the voices of inmates at San Quentin.
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment the hosts discuss the Chris Christie beach scandal. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at slate.com/gabfestplus.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is email@example.com. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Kevin Townsend.