To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, John Dickerson, Jamelle Bouie, and David Plotz discuss the Virginia shooting, Senate health bill, Russia investigation, and Virginia gubernatorial primaries.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- Christopher Warshaw and David Broockman in the New York Times: “Public Health: G.O.P. Senators Might Not Realize It, but Not One State Supports the A.H.C.A.”
- The Washington Post: “Special Counsel Is Investigating Trump for Possible Obstruction of Justice, Officials Say”
- Michael Riley and Jordan Robinson in Bloomberg Politics: “Russian Breach of 39 States Threatens Future U.S. Elections”
- Philip Bump in the Washington Post: “Sessions’s Testimony Highlights Trump’s Deep Lack of Interest in What Russia Did in 2016”
Here are this week’s cocktail chatters:
- John: A story about leaks in the Lincoln administration.
- Jamelle: The classic Kurosawa film Drunken Angel.
- David: A once-in-a-lifetime total eclipse on Aug. 21, for which Atlas Obscura will host a watch festival, and Isaac Chotiner’s Slate interview podcast I Have to Ask.
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, the hosts discuss Megyn Kelly’s NBC interview of conspiracy theorist Alex Jones. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at slate.com/gabfestplus.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Kevin Townsend.