Here are the facts about this weekend’s firebombing of a Republican Party office in North Carolina.
- A bottle filled with a flammable substance was thrown through the window of the party’s Orange County headquarters in the town of Hillsborough on Saturday night or Sunday morning. Hillsborough is 12 miles north of Chapel Hill. The damage was fairly substantial, while the words “Nazi Republicans get out of town or else” were spray-painted on an adjacent building:
- The act of arson is being investigated by local police and state and federal authorities. No suspects have yet been identified.
Here’s how the incident has played out in the context of our terrible election.
- Donald Trump blamed Hillary Clinton.
(Clinton condemned the attack.)
- A group of Democrats raised $13,000 online to go toward repairs in what they billed as an act of bipartisan civil decency.
- Other non-Republicans* condemned the Democrats who’d raised the money for being traitors to the various groups that the North Carolina Republican Party’s policies have ill effects on.
It’s a fun election and a fun time for everybody.