To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is email@example.com. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
The Political Gabfest is brought to you by Blue Apron. For less than $10 per meal, Blue Apron delivers meal kits right to your door to make cooking at home easy. Get your first three meals FREE by going to BlueApron.com/gabfest.
And by Squarespace. Building your own website has never been easier. Start your free trial today at Squarespace.com and use offer code gabfest for 10 percent off your first purchase.
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment the hosts discuss the EpiPen controversy. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at slate.com/gabfestplus.
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz discuss Trump’s trip to Mexico, Huma Abedin’s separation from Anthony Weiner, and the fight for control of the Senate.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- The Clinton campaign’s in-depth preparation for the debates
- Donald Trump’s looser style of debate prep
- A New York Post story prompts Huma Abedin to separate from Anthony Weiner
- The New York Times story about Anthony Weiner’s scandals “casting a shadow” over the Clinton campaign
- Mark Leibovich interviewed Anthony Weiner in the New York Times Magazine
- GOP Senator Rob Portman’s Ohio race appears to be resisting the Trump effect
- Emily’s New York Times Magazine profile of California Attorney General Kamala Harris
Emily chatters about Angela Corey and Matt Shirk, the tough-on-crime Florida officials whom Emily wrote about and discussed last week, both losing their elections this week.
David chatters about Atlas Obscura’s D.C. book launch at Sixth & I on Sept. 29 and the Netflix show Last Chance U.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Kevin Townsend.