The Slatest

Hostages Including 7-Year-Old in Baltimore Burger King Released, Suspect Is in Custody (Updated)

Baltimore City Sheriff’s deputies in May.

Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Update, 6:11 p.m.: The Baltimore police department has announced on Twitter that the suspect is in custody, and that all hostages have been released without being harmed. In a video broadcast on Periscope, police representative T.J. Smith described the ordeal, saying that beyond the child, the other hostages included a 67-year-old male customer, a 17-year-old female employee, and a 25-year-old female manager. Smith also urged caution in judging the suspect. “Before everyone starts calling the suspect names and editorializing about how much of a bad guy he is, he made the decision to do the right thing, and that was not harm anyone. He absolutely had the opportunity to do so, but he chose not to do so,” he said.


Update, 4:58 p.m.: Two of the hostages have been released. Two, including the child, are still inside.


Original Post, 3:29 p.m.: A man wanted in connection with a rape ran from police and into a Baltimore Burger King, where he took four hostage, including a 7-year-old.

From the Washington Post:

Police said the incident began about 11 a.m. and was ongoing at 2 p.m at the restaurant in the 1700 block of Washington Boulevard in the southwestern part of the city, near Interstate 95.

T.J. Smith, a Baltimore police spokesman, said the suspect crashed into a car on Washington Boulevard near Monroe Street and then ran into the Burger King, carrying a gun.

A SWAT team and negotiators are present, and Smith stressed that the “ultimate goal is to end this peacefully.” The scene remains active but, according to local news reporters, no shots have been fired.

Also this weekend in Baltimore: More than 60 were arrested for blocking lanes during a protest Saturday calling for a citizens review board for police investigations and the reallocation of 10 percent of the city’s police budget for community programs.*

Correction, July 18, 2016: This post originally stated that the protesters were arrested on Sunday.