To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
Subscribe in iTunes ∙ RSS feed ∙ Download ∙ Play in another tab
Slate Plus members: Get your ad-free podcast feed.
Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us on Twitter @SlateGabfest. The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
The Slate Political Gabfest is brought to you by Goldman Sachs. To learn about developments currently shaping markets, industries, and the global economy, subscribe to the firm’s podcast, Exchanges at Goldman Sachs, available on iTunes.
And by Ring. With Ring Video Doorbell, you can see and speak to anyone at your door from anywhere in the world, using your smart phone. Political Gabfest listeners get $50 off the Ring of Security kit by going to Ring.com/gabfest.
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, the hosts discuss the Democrats’ congressional sit-in for gun control. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at slate.com/gabfestplus.
On this week’s Slate Political Gabfest, Jamelle Bouie, Adam Davidson, and Rachel Martin discuss Trump’s failed fundraising (and business record), whether the so-called “Brexit” and Trump signal a growth in anti-immigrant, right-wing politics, and Clinton’s choices for vice president.
Here are some of the links and references from this week’s show:
- Talking Points Memo’s coverage of Trump, e.g. “Top 10 Reasons to Doubt Trump Is Even a Billionaire”
- Trump may not be a billionaire and only worth a paltry couple hundred million.
- Reporter Tim O’Brien got the chance to see Trump’s tax returns as part of a lawsuit against him and can’t talk about them, but thinks we should see, too.
- Samuel Huntington’s controversial (but prescient) The Clash of Civilizations
- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees released a new report detailing the new record-high of forced displacement: 1 in 113 worldwide.
Rachel chatters about Lifetime’s UnReal and the un-reality of reality television.
Adam chatters about the delights of having a 4-year-old and getting the chance to indulge his childhood nerd-dom by using a microscope with him.
Jamelle chatters about a new Polaroid-style instant film camera that he bought and the joys of amateur photography.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Kevin Townsend.