The Slatest

Donald Trump Says He’s “Revoking” the Washington Post’s Press Credentials

Donald Trump speaks at a campaign rally on June 2, 2016 in San Jose, California.

Elijah Nouvelage/Getty Images

Donald Trump announced Monday afternoon that his campaign is “revoking the press credentials” of the Washington Post. Here’s his full statement on the matter, which he posted on Facebook:

Based on the incredibly inaccurate coverage and reporting of the record setting Trump campaign, we are hereby revoking the press credentials of the phony and dishonest Washington Post.

It appears as though Trump’s reason for barring the entire staff of one of the nation’s largest (and most storied) newspapers from his campaign events is, at least in part, a story the Post published earlier in the day, the headline of which currently reads, “Donald Trump seems to connect President Obama to Orlando shooting.” (In a previous post to his Facebook page on Monday, Trump took issue with what he said was a headline that read “Donald Trump suggests President Obama was involved with Orlando shooting.” It was not immediately clear if the Post softened the headline after publishing the story, or if Trump is mischaracterizing it.)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Here is the quote that Post reporter Jenna Johnson used as the peg for her story:

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,” Trump said in a lengthy interview on Fox News early Monday morning. “And the something else in mind — you know, people can’t believe it. People cannot, they cannot believe that President Obama is acting the way he acts and can’t even mention the words ‘radical Islamic terrorism.’ There’s something going on. It’s inconceivable. There’s something going on.”

The presumptive GOP nominee has never been a fan of reporters who ask him tough questions (or simply dare not to take him at his word), but this marks an unprecedented escalation in his war with the political press corps that is covering his campaign. The Post’s executive editor, Marty Baron, issued the following statement on the matter.

Advertisement

We’ll update with more information when it becomes available. But for now, a few choice thoughts from my fellow reporters:

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

This post has been updated with additional information.

Advertisement