Corporate money: Makes the political world go ’round, right? Particularly, major corporations tend to shell out to slap their names on both the Republican and Democratic conventions. But huge companies like Coca-Cola, Walmart, Google, and Apple are all rethinking whether they want to sponsor the 2016 GOP convention in Cleveland—because of a certain stubby-fingered real-estate magnate. Here I was thinking the U.S. was still a country where all publicity was good publicity, but I guess some companies are skittish about sponsoring an event that will honor and anoint a xenophobic, sexist racist. The companies also appear too beholden to P.C. culture to want their brands associated with violence that might break out if Donald Trump is denied the nomination. If these corporations don’t sponsor the event, they would be leaving millions of dollars on the convention’s big, beautiful, solid-gold, pearl-encrusted table. What a bunch of un-American, low-class losers. Here’s what else happened:
- Due to climate change, Antarctica might melt much faster than we thought, and thereby trigger sea-level rise along continental coasts across the globe. We are talking about existential threats to major coastal cities worldwide. This is not good, people.
- If global warming doesn’t kill us all, Trump might. But his apocalyptic ascent to the presidency doesn’t look very likely as of Thursday.
- Hillary Clinton’s super PAC released an attack ad featuring Donald Trump’s suggestion that women who receive abortions should receive “some sort of punishment,” just one day after the Donald’s remarks at MSNBC’s town hall.
- Washington D.C.’s public transit system will undergo repairs that will shut down entire city subway lines for months. It’s gridlock all the way down in the nation’s capital.
- The Justice Department announced sweeping reforms to Newark, New Jersey’s police department to correct an epidemic of unconstitutional stops, searches, arrests, excessive force, and theft.
- And Alabama’s septuagenarian governor’s sweet talk with his senior adviser will make even hardened cynics like yourself believe in love.
Have a stupendous evening out there,
Home page editor for nights and weekends