President Obama should be allowed to appoint a Supreme Court replacement for Antonin Scalia despite 2016 being an election year because the Court needs “somebody in there to do the job and just get on with it,” retired justice Sandra Day O’Connor told an Arizona TV station. Meanwhile, a review of the evidence indicates that pundits who say the Democrats would refuse to consider a Republican president’s election-year Supreme Court nominee if the shoe were on the other foot are wrong. Well, probably wrong. It’s a hypothetical. But … probably.
In other news:
- Obama is going to Cuba! That’s crazy.
- Pope Francis, speaking with reporters aboard the Papal Airplane after a visit to Mexico, said that Donald Trump’s obsession with building walls between people is un-Christian. During the same interview, Francis suggested that using contraceptives would be “the lesser of the two evils” when compared to taking the risk of becoming pregnant with a child that suffered from Zika-induced microcephaly.
- Porn industry lobbyists (!) say that condom-related regulations proposed in California would destroy their business.
- Cliven Bundy, who’s currently in custody in Oregon, was indicted by a federal grand jury in his home state of Nevada.
- A deadly bombing in Turkey has somehow made the U.S.’s position against ISIS even more untenable.
- Maine’s racist governor blamed refugees for the “Ziki fly” virus, which, as they say, is not a real thing.
Have a good night!