Authorities say yesterday’s massacre in San Bernardino was committed by a married couple who were subsequently killed in a shootout with police. The male half of the couple, 28-year-old Syed Farook, worked for the county organization whose gathering was targeted, but also may have been “radicalized” and in touch with terror suspects online. In other news:
- Jeremy Stahl put together a depressing list of the alternately pleading and despairing articles about gun control that have been written after various gun massacres dating back to Columbine.
- The Pentagon announced that women are now eligible to serve in all combat roles.
- Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz, speaking to a Jewish Republican group, attacked each other over the question of whether the U.S. should push for the ouster of Bashar al-Assad.
- Speaking at the same forum, Donald Trump made a bunch of remarks about how Jews are shrewd and good at business. Yep.
- Proceedings in the first trial of a police officer charged in Freddie Gray’s death began in Baltimore.
- Dick Cheney was honored with a bust in the U.S. Capitol and Slate congratulated him for ending terrorism by invading Iraq.
Have a good day out there.