Become a fan of the Political Gabfest on Facebook. We post to the Facebook page throughout the week, so keep the conversation going by joining us there. Or follow us @SlateGabfest! The email address for the Political Gabfest is firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
The Slate Political Gabfest is brought to you by Making a Murderer, an unprecedented new documentary that takes viewers inside a high-stakes criminal case where reputation is everything and things are never as they appear. All episodes are now streaming, only on Netflix.
To listen to the discussion, use the player below:
Slate Plus members: Get your ad-free podcast feed.
For this week’s Slate Plus bonus segment, John shares some of his traveling-for-business tips. Join Slate Plus! Members get bonus segments, exclusive member-only podcasts, and more. Sign up for a free trial today at www.slate.com/gabfestplus.
This week’s Slate Political Gabfest features several of Emily Bazelon, John Dickerson, and David Plotz’s (and listeners’!) favorite segments of 2015, including discussions on the death of Freddie Gray, gender on the Upper East Side and the assassination of Lincoln.
Here are some of the links and references mentioned during this week’s show:
- Following the suspicious death of Freddie Grey, the city of Baltimore erupted with unrest. What led to the troubling decline of Freddie Gray’s broken neighborhood, and how will the community recover?
- Ta-Nehisi Coates pens a poignant take on nonviolence as compliance.
- Emily highlights several cases that may or may not portend the future of such gender discrimination and bias lawsuits.
- A recent study of women on Capitol Hill highlights the challenges and consequences when women can’t get one-on-one time with their bosses.
- What is a “wife bonus”—and is it even a real thing? (And what about a “husband bonus”?)
- The hosts discuss Lincoln’s assassination given April 2015’s sesquicentennial marking of the event.
- Read more of Slate’s coverage of news & politics
John chatters about The Serious Lesson in President Harding’s Case of Gonorrhea.
David chatters about his serendipitous meeting with Malawian minister Martin Tom.
Topic ideas for next week? You can tweet suggestions, links, and questions to @SlateGabfest (#heygabfest). (Tweets may be quoted by name unless the writer stipulates otherwise.)
Podcast production by Jocelyn Frank. Links compiled by Elle Bisgaard-Church (with many this week from previous interns).