Well, Ben Carson thinks Joseph from the Old Testament built the pyramids. BuzzFeed found this claim in a speech Carson gave at Andrews University, a Michigan school that describes itself as the “flagship educational institution” of the Seventh-day Adventist Church that Carson belongs to:
Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson told graduates during a commencement address in the late ’90s that he believed the pyramids in Egypt were built by the biblical figure Joseph to store grain, and not, as most archeologists contend, as tombs for pharaohs. … “My own personal theory is that Joseph built the pyramids to store grain,” Carson said.
The Old Testament Joseph is said to have been sold into slavery in Egypt by his brothers before rising to prominence after interpreting one of the pharaoh’s dreams (a dream involving grain and famine).
More from Carson’s speech:
“And when you look at the way that the pyramids are made, with many chambers that are hermetically sealed, they’d have to be that way for various reasons. And various of scientists have said, ‘Well, you know there were alien beings that came down and they have special knowledge and that’s how—’ you know, it doesn’t require an alien being when God is with you.”
Other notable Carson claims:
- “The likelihood of Hitler being able to accomplish his goals” during the Holocaust would’ve been “greatly diminished” if the Nazis had not previously instituted gun control.
- Darwin’s theory of evolution “was something that was encouraged by the adversary,” aka the devil.
- The U.S. is currently “very much like Nazi Germany.”
- Prison can make people gay.
- Your health can be improved by the “glyconutrients” in vitamins sold by a multilevel marketing company called Mannatech.
Gah. Gonna be a long day.