Hello, Slatest readers! Here’s what’s goin’ on in the news on Tuesday.
- Tropical storm Joaquin is threatening to deluge the living daylights out of the East Coast. Major deluge potential. Deluge!
- Jeb “Jebbles” Bush is deluging America with an energy plan which somehow doesn’t even mention climate change at all.
- Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards is testifying in front of a House committee. Richards is taking heat from pro-life Republicans including Florida’s Ron DeSantis, who asked her out of left field whether medical care should be provided if a “child” survives an abortion attempt, and chair Jason Chaffetz, who insinuated that she makes too much money. Democratic rep Carolyn Maloney responded forcefully to the latter comment, calling Chaffetz’s remarks “inappropriate and discriminatory.”
- The United States is still fighting a war in Afghanistan as the Taliban have captured a major city for the first time since 2001.
- A man who may well be innocent can be executed on Wednesday, an Oklahoma court ruled.
- Robert Mugabe declared bizarrely at the U.N. that “we are not gays.”
- Jordan Spieth had such a good year in golf that his caddie made more money than Tiger Woods.
Have a good day out there!