Hello, Slatest readers! Here’s what’s going down on Thursday.
- Pope Francis gave the first-ever papal address to Congress, speaking mostly in abstract terms but alluding to his firm stances on a number of hot-button subjects.
- Except climate change, on which he was much less forceful than usual.
- After he finished, he spoke briefly to the crowd outside in what was probably the most compelling moment of his visit to the Capitol.
- Throughout the whole process, House speaker (and Catholic) John Boehner was quite emotional.
- Meanwhile, the small girl who slipped through barricades and handed the pope a letter yesterday told Univision what the letter said.
- Donald Trump started taking shots at Fox News again.
- More than 700 people on the hajj were killed in a stampede in what has become a staggeringly regular problem for Saudi Arabia.
- And more hopefully, a breakthrough deal was announced that may end Colombia’s 50-year conflict between the government and Marxist guerillas.
Have a good day, all.