Saudi Arabia announced an end to its nearly monthlong bombing of Yemen on Tuesday and says it is now pivoting to pursue a political resolution to the ongoing turmoil in the country. The Saudi-led campaign was launched after the Houthi rebels, suspected of receiving Iranian support, successfully sent the U.S.–backed government on the run from the capital city into exile, and after gobbling up large swaths of territory looked ready to take over functional control of the country.
“A Saudi government statement said ‘the objectives of ‘Operation Decisive Storm’ have been achieved,’ asserting that a Houthi takeover of Yemen had been prevented,” the New York Times reports. “The aerial attacks by a Saudi-led coalition of 10 Arab countries began on March 26, paralyzing Yemen, the Middle East’s poorest country, and leaving hundreds of people dead and thousands injured and homeless.”
Saudi Arabia has coined the next political phase of their mission in Yemen “Operation Restoring Hope.” “The Saudis called for a quick resumption of U.N.–facilitated talks to try to get a peaceful political arrangement for the country, which has a long history of internal fighting,” Reuters reports. “Iran, which has supported the fellow Shi’ite Houthis, welcomed the ceasefire.”