Canadian media personality and host Jian Ghomeshi—who was fired by the CBC over allegations of sexual misconduct and violence uncovered by the Toronto Star—has withdrawn a $55 million lawsuit against the network and agreed to pay $18,000 in legal fees it incurred as a result of the suit. From the Star:
Shortly after he was fired, Ghomeshi said in a Facebook post that he was being fired after the CBC became aware of his interest in what he described as “adventurous forms of sex.”
Since then, he has made only one public statement, in which he said he would “meet these allegations directly.”
Slate’s Carl Wilson, who knew Ghomeshi and had appeared on his show, wrote on Nov. 3 that Ghomeshi’s stature in Canadian culture may have helped him avoid the consequences of his behavior for years; he’s now being investigated by Toronto police.