Supporting Cast is seeking a mid- to senior-level UI engineer to help build an industry-leading platform for premium audio content creators and consumers. You’ll be joining a small team of developers, so you will have major influence on our tech stack, our rapidly evolving product, and future hiring. Working here provides the dynamic excitement of a startup and the stability and competitive compensation of an established employer.
Candidates located in New York City, D.C., or the Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina, area are preferred, but we will consider candidates from any location.
What You’ll Do:
• Research, design, and lead review of new features in collaboration with the development team, product management, and business stakeholders
• Unify and improve our experience for podcasters and podcast listeners
• Lead the implementation of our new branding
• Plan and execute a restructuring of our existing HTML, CSS and JS into a maintainable, modular system
• Help roadmap and build a front-end library for third-party implementations of our services
• Learn about the rapidly growing podcast industry and its efforts toward monetization
• Play an important role in product, business, and hiring conversations
For this position, we are looking for someone with both design and front-end skills. If you are more familiar with one but interested in learning the other, you should consider applying.
What You Should Know:
• Ability to juggle multiple milestones and projects efficiently
• Ability to consider different solutions to a problem instead of jumping to a conclusion quickly
• Ability to come up with short- and long-term solutions
• Sketch, Figma, or other design software
• HTML and SCSS/CSS
• Accessibility best practices (see the A11y Project)
• Front-end roll-up and optimization tools, e.g., Webpack, Rollup, Gulp
• NPM and Node.js
We are looking for someone who is great at problem-solving and working with people. If you don’t know all of the technologies listed above, don’t hesitate to apply.
About Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast enables podcasters and audiobook publishers to launch podcast subscription programs and sell premium audio content that listeners can access through their podcast apps. Created by Slate following the success of Slate Plus, its 70,000-strong membership program, we now work with some of the largest podcasters and audiobook publishers in the industry.
As an internal startup within Slate, we are a small team that works adjacent to the Slate tech and product teams. We are very much part of Slate’s warm, inclusive, and unique business culture. Slate has a history of successful internal startups, having previously spun off Social Code and Megaphone as independent companies.
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
What to Do Next:
To apply, please send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Supporting Cast UI Engineer.” Please include your résumé, your website, and a few paragraphs on why you’re qualified for the position. We strongly encourage you to include links to recent work or blog posts explaining your process.