This position is no longer open.
Slate is looking for a subscription optimization manager to help us significantly expand and improve our subscriptions business. You’ll play a key part in optimizing both customer acquisition and retention through testing, iterating, and data analysis of marketing messages and offers. Slate’s offices remain closed for now so this role will start remotely. Ideally candidates will be based near our D.C. offices.
• Optimize and create impactful acquisition programs by supporting a well-defined lifecycle marketing strategy
• Implement new nurture campaigns to successfully increase user conversion and upsell
• Drive the communications calendar, messaging, audience selection, and analysis/key insights for our existing users
• Methodically test and identify best performing content and messages for each audience and lead segment across both owned and paid marketing channels, including email, push notifications, website, digital ads, etc.
• Help to inform and manage tools to measure and forecast churn, retention, and subscription conversion performance in partnership with the analytics team
• Understand and advise on optimization of media strategies across channels on high value segments focused on improving overall impact on the business
• Build and present comprehensive strategy presentations and business model projections working closely with finance and business leadership
• Reports to senior product manager for reader revenue
• 3–5 years of data-driven digital marketing experience, with a heavy emphasis on subscription marketing
• Experience implementing and optimizing A/B and multivariate tests
• Strong problem-solving skills and an analytical mindset with excellent attention to detail
• Experience presenting to executive leaders, board members, and a variety of internal and external audiences
• Comfort using Google Analytics, Looker, or similar data platforms
• Comfort using Optimizely or similar UI-based optimization platforms
• Experience directly managing external vendors and agencies toward achieving company goals and objectives
• Strong project management skills as well as follow-through and attention to detail
• The ability to work seamlessly with cross-functional teams such as product, editorial, and engineering
Requirements and General Skills
• Interpersonal skills and ability to interact and work with staff at all levels
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment
• Ability to pay attention to details and be organized
• Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
• Willingness to take initiative and to follow through on projects
• Creative writing ability
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.