Slate is hiring a full-time staff writer. Ideal candidates will be dynamic and proactive with a knack for finding new stories and unexplored angles on familiar but important subjects. We’re looking for someone with excellent news sense, good judgment, bottomless energy, and impressive reporting and storytelling chops. Reporting experience strongly preferred. We’re open to all kinds of expertise and interests, as long as you have a unique ability to make what you’re interested in interesting to readers.
• Regularly start conversations in your coverage area
• Report both quick-turnaround stories and longer features
• Write intelligently and incisively about the events of the day
• Collaborate with a team of writers and editors across the magazine
• A sharp, creative mind and pen
• At least five years’ experience working as a writer
• A deep well of story ideas
• Top-notch organizational and communication skills
• Smarts, kindness, humor, and generosity, all of which will help you work well with smart, kind, funny, generous colleagues
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
To apply, please send your résumé and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “staff writer” in your subject line.
This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America East.