Supporting Cast is seeking a full-stack web developer to continue adding features to our rapidly growing podcasting membership platform.
About Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast is an internal startup within Slate, the multimedia digital publishing company. Supporting Cast builds on the success of Slate Plus, Slate’s nearly 50,000-strong podcasting-centric membership program. Supporting Cast’s services allow podcasters to charge their listeners for exclusive access to podcast content. See our launch announcement and some of the industry coverage we’ve received.
We are a small team: You would be the second full-time dev. We work adjacent to the Slate.com tech and product teams. We are very much part of Slate.com’s warm, inclusive, and unique business culture.
Supporting Cast provides the dynamic excitement of a startup and the stability and quality-of-life benefits of an established employer. Slate has a history of successful internal startups, having previously spun off Social Code and Megaphone as independent companies.
Attributes of the Ideal Candidate
• 5–7 years’ professional experience
• Broadly skilled
• Enjoys R&D/evaluating new technologies, methodologies, vendors
• Unafraid to ask extra questions
• Writes code that gets the job done now and is easily refactored later
• Checks in on logs, data, reports, etc. well after a product ships
• Familiar with CS-ish concepts like SOLID, design patterns, clean code, cyclomatic complexity, class cohesion, concurrency, etc. A computer science degree is a plus but not required.
• Fluent with tools of scalability and uptime, e.g., job queues, CDNs, caching, etc.
Our Current Tech Stack
• App stack: PHP/Laravel, Nginx, Varnish, and MySql in Docker. We have road-mapped server-less computing, which would involve Python, Node, or Go.
• Browser stack: vanilla JS, SCSS, NPM
• DevOps: AWS, Fastly CDN
• External services: Stripe, Google Cloud Computing, AWS notifications
• Repo: Github
• Project management: Agile-oriented. Zenhub, Trello, Google Docs, Slack
Most of Slate’s development team is based in D.C., but we will also consider remote candidates. Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply.
To apply, please send a résumé and cover letter (including links to things you’ve built as you see fit) to email@example.com with “Supporting Cast Software Engineer” as your subject line.