Slate is seeking a passionate, creative PHP developer with Laravel and AWS experience to help build Supporting Cast’s podcasting membership platform. Podcasters and media companies are looking for pathways to financial growth, and your role in architecting and maintaining our platform can deepen their connection with their most engaged listeners and vastly increase their podcasting revenue. You’ll be joining a small team of developers and will be in a position to have a huge influence on our tech stack, our rapidly evolving product, and future hiring. Working here provides the dynamic excitement of a startup, and the stability and competitive compensation of an established employer.
About the Position
• Learn a lot about the fast-growing podcast industry and the fast-growing membership-service space
• Scale an application vertically as we onboard clients with tens of thousands of members
• Scale an application horizontally as we evaluate and implement new technologies and stacks beyond Laravel and PHP
• Build and maintain an API for clients
• Build and maintain implementations for other websites, including but not limited to WordPress plug-ins and JS/iframe embeds
• Maintain and optimize advanced CDN (Fastly), e-commerce (Stripe), and dev-ops (AWS) integrations
• Play an important role in product, business, and hiring conversations
• Five to seven years’ work experience
• Extensive experience with PHP and Laravel. Experience with WordPress is a plus.
• Fluency with a wide range of AWS services, with the ability to quickly research and adopt new ones.
• Experience with CDN strategies. Knowledge of Varnish is a plus.
• Experience with payment platforms like Stripe (preferred) or Braintree
• Working knowledge of software design concepts like SOLID, design patterns, and cyclomatic complexity
• Working familiarity with job-scheduling tools like queues and crons
About Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast enables podcasters and audiobook publishers to launch podcast subscription programs and sell premium audio content that listeners can access through their podcast apps. Created by Slate following the success of Slate Plus, its 70,000-strong membership program, we now work with some of the largest podcasters and audiobook publishers in the industry.
As an internal startup within Slate, we are a small team that works adjacent to the Slate tech and product teams. We are very much part of Slate’s warm, inclusive, and unique business culture. Slate has a history of successful internal startups, having previously spun off Social Code and Megaphone as independent companies.
Our Current Tech Stack:
• App: PHP/Laravel, Nginx, Varnish, Redis, Postgres, Docker
• Dev ops: AWS (EC2/EB/Pipeline/Parameter Store/etc.), Fastly CDN
• Key business vendors: Stripe
• Key software vendors: Google Cloud Computing, AWS (SES/SNS/SMS)
• Repo: GitHub
• Project management: Agile-oriented. Zenhub, Notion, Google Docs, Slack
Candidates located in New York City, D.C., or the Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina, area are preferred, but we will consider candidates from any location.
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
To apply, please send a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Supporting Cast Senior Software Engineer.” Please include links to projects and repos as you see fit.