This position is no longer open.
Slate is hiring a senior engagement editor to join its audience development team. Ideal candidates think strategically about how to grow a loyal audience and draw in new readers and listeners. They’re as comfortable digging into performance analyses and making evidence-based proposals as they are hopping into the comments on our Facebook group for Slate Plus members.
In other words, ideal candidates can think both big and small, in both deepening relationships with our current audience and putting our work in front of a new audience. They write strong headlines (and can teach others how to write them, too). They are experts in SEO and social media best practices. They are eager to experiment with new platforms, partnerships, and strategies, and they can spot the ways that digital media trends are changing so that we stay ahead of the game. This role is based out Slate’s Brooklyn or D.C. offices.
The senior audience engagement editor will report to the Senior Director of Strategy and work to:
Craft, propose, and oversee initiatives to grow the size of our audience and the loyalty of our existing audience
Be involved in the editorial process from start to finish: Attend idea-generation meetings, plan campaigns to support major editorial packages, and execute those ideas to reach our audience
• Collaborate with editors on a daily basis to optimize stories for distribution
Write strong headlines and shape Slate’s voice on social media and elsewhere
• Develop best practices for writing sharp headlines and work with others to implement them
• Help manage Slate’s existing social media accounts
Help grow the audience of Slate’s podcast network
Help determine Slate’s distributed platform strategy
• Build our relationships with editors at platforms like Flipboard, Pocket, MSN, and Apple News
• Use data to make decisions on how and where to promote our work
• Identify trends in the social media world and determine how Slate’s plans should adjust to them
Help drive newsletter strategy
• Experience working at an online news organization
• Experience running brand social media feeds
• Knowledge of Slate, its voice, and its place with the podcast landscape
• Strong understanding of data analytics
• Knowledge of SEO best practices
• Strong communication skills, both written and oral
• Experience working on a publication’s newsletters
• Project management experience
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know.
We will do what we can to meet your needs.
This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America East.