This position is no longer open.
Slate is seeking an energetic, media-obsessed communications professional to support publicity across Slate’s editorial and business divisions. The person in this role will work under the director of media relations and with key stakeholders across the company. The publicist’s primary focus will be extending the reach and impact of Slate’s editorial (including written and audio) and business divisions, and the company’s overall narrative and brand. Partnership with editors, reporters, and hosts is an essential element of this job, which will include collaboration with the editorial team on the communications strategy and the promotion of content that lives across Slate’s site and apps. This job will also include editorial publicity for Slate’s stable of more than 25 podcasts, as well as additional shows yet to be announced. We are looking for someone who has a passion for news and entertainment, loves media relations, thrives in a fast-paced newsroom environment, and is inspired by what Slate produces every day across all platforms. Candidates based in New York City are preferred.
• Support strategy and execution for editorial and business communications
• Collaborate with editors, reporters, and hosts to know what they’re working on and what’s coming up, and develop strategic communications plans to best position their work
• Be in constant touch with press, pitch producers, and grow relationships with media contacts about that work
• Identify and help amplify Slate content across the media landscape
• Write press materials including pitches, press releases, and messaging points
• Compile daily press clippings and craft press reports
• Build out press lists around various projects and topics, and manage existing press lists
• Submit Slate for awards and event panels
• Demonstrated success securing media coverage across various platforms (TV, print, web, radio)
• Solid understanding of media and tech landscape, and a strong editorial sensibility
• Excellent organization and communication skills
• Ability to work well under pressure, juggling multiple tasks on tight deadlines
• Passion for following media, digging into trends, and staying ahead of the news cycle
• 2–4 years’ experience inside a news organization and/or in a press shop pitching on a daily basis
• Obsession with news, politics, and entertainment greatly preferred
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.