Slate is hiring a producer to join the tightknit, scrappy team behind Slate’s daily morning news podcast, What Next, hosted by Mary Harris.
The person we are looking for has audio editing experience but above all must be hungry and a great team player, care about storytelling and sound, and love tackling the news, whether that’s finding new angles on big stories everyone’s already talking about or bringing undercovered local stories to Slate’s national audience. You are not exhausted by this news cycle—you are energized by it (or at least a bit of both). You care about fairness and accuracy and are passionate about shaping a great, 20-minute story.
The right person for this job can deal with change—our show has grown and changed a lot in its first year and a half, and there is always more growth and change to come. You don’t take yourself too seriously, but you’re serious about the work. You’re kind and generous with your colleagues, but you can articulate your concerns and solve problems as they crop up. The position is full-time, on staff, with benefits, and is located in Slate’s Brooklyn office. (You must be comfortable working remotely given the constraints posed by the coronavirus outbreak.)
• Work on a small team to shape each day’s show: identify the top news stories every day and monitor stories that might become more urgent
• Pitch guests who can speak with verve, break down intimidating stories, and bring unique perspective
• Edit audio like a ninja—quickly and without a trace—ideally on Pro Tools
• Mix the show and prepare it for online broadcast, including writing copy for Slate’s website
• At least two years of audio production experience in radio, podcasting, or equivalent
• An abiding love for wallowing in tape. You will have to do a lot of audio editing.
• Excellent writing
• Excellent communication skills
• Great ideas and sound editorial judgment
• The ability to multitask and excel in a fast-paced work environment
• Smarts, kindness, and humor
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs.
To apply, please send your résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Producer, What Next” in your subject line.
This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between Slate and the Writers Guild of America East.